This year’s Mission PAWsible theme:
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to show or tell us the importance of protecting our native animals on our beautiful island and/or ways to keep them and all our animals safe and healthy! Ex. Keep your pets on leashes and don’t let them chase animals, pick up after our pets, TNRM (Trap, Neuter/Spay, Release & Manage), etc.
Attention students in grades 6-12 on O`ahu: another year means another Mission PAWsible Contest!
This year, we hope your Mission PAWsible projects will illustrate the importance of protecting our native animals on our beautiful island and/or ways to keep them and all our animals safe and healthy!
Here are this year’s categories:
- Traditional Art (drawing, painting, etc.)
- Digital Art (photography, animation, video, graphic design)
- Creative Writing (poetry, short story – no longer than 500 words)
- NEW! 3D Art (ceramic, wood, metal, sewing, etc.)
Note: If you are bringing in your submissions, they must be within a reasonable size (about 1x1x1 foot). However, picture/video submissions of the art will also be accepted as submissions if it is larger in size or if you are unable to bring it in.
Submissions are currently open and will not be accepted after Monday, April 3 at 11:59PM. For submissions being dropped off at our Mo`ili`ili Campus, please check our website for business hours.
Rules and Judging Criteria
Entries will be reviewed by a panel of judges. Entries will be reviewed and evaluated based on the following criteria within the context of two grade spans: grades 6 – 8 and grades 9 – 12.
- Adherence to the Contest Theme (All entries)
We are excited to invite you to our campus in West Oʻahu when it opens, what are you most excited to see there?
- Creativity and Originality (All entries)
All entries must be an original creation and cannot be copied or traced from someone else’s work. Show or tell us what we can do to help the animals in our community.
- Clarity of Message (All entries)
What is the message the artist is trying to convey? How is the message communicated? Does the message align with the Hawaiian Humane Society’s mission and values?
- Visual Quality and Design (Traditional Art and Digital Art categories)
- Size Regulations (Traditional Art and Digital Art categories)
Entries must be flat and 17×11-inch (ledger size) or smaller.
- Length Regulations (Digital Art and Creative Writing categories)
Photography entries can be submitted as a single photograph or as a series up to eight photographs. Videos must be 3 minutes or less. Written word entries must be 500 words or less.
- Correct Spelling, Grammar, and Appropriate Word Choice (Creative Writing category)
- Adherence to Submission Guidelines (See below)
How To Enter
If you experience any technical issues or would rather submit your contest entry as a hard copy to the Hawaiian Humane Society, complete this form and include it with your submission.
All hardcopy entries should be mailed to:
Hawaiian Humane Society
Attention: Mission PAWsible Contest
2700 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96826
- Entries must include a fully completed Mission PAWsible submission form. If you submit your entry electronically, ensure you fill-out the online submission form in its entirety. If you submit your entry as a hardcopy, print out a submission form at at the link above and include the submission form with your entry.
- Electronic submissions must be submitted as: .doc, .pdf, .jpeg, or as a Vimeo or YouTube link. Google docs will not be accepted.
- Participation indicates permission for the Hawaiian Humane Society to use entries at its discretion, including the entrant’s first name and school.
For questions or more information, email Education@HawaiianHumane.org or call 808-356-2223.
Contest is open to all students in grades 6 – 12 living on Oʻahu. Students may submit up to one entry per category; however, students can only win one Grand Prize.
The deadline for all entries is April 3, 2023, at midnight.