Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Hawaiian Humane Society to fulfill your court-mandated community service.
Please allow for approximately 6 weeks to complete this application process, which may include your in-person training with our team members.
Community Service Program Requirements
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must be referred from the State of Hawaii’s Adult/Juvenile Community Service & Restitution Unit program.
- We ONLY accept the following charges:
- MIP (alcohol, tobacco or marijuana)
- DUI (alcohol), DWAI (alcohol)
- Traffic Violations
- Misdemeanor Criminal Mischief (misdemeanor ONLY)
- Felonies, retail fraud, theft, larceny, animal neglect/abuse and/or violent crimes will not be accepted.
- Certain offenses will be considered on a case-by-case basis as to whether or not an individual will be allowed to volunteer with us.
- Should be capable of bending, scooping, lifting, and standing for extended periods of time.
Court-mandated community service volunteers will not work directly with shelter animals or the public. Volunteer opportunities available are in the following roles as available:
- Kennel Cleaning
- Step 1: Watch our Hawaiian Humane 101 video
- Step 2: Watch our General Volunteer Orientation video.
- Step 3: Submit this Community Service Volunteer Application.
- The Hawaiian Humane Society reserves the right to deny any application to the community service program for any reason. Even if your charge is listed above, you are not automatically qualified as a participant in the program.
- Step 4: The Volunteer Services Team, after reviewing your application, will contact you to pay the $15 Volunteer Fee (that covers the cost of administrative processing and volunteer uniform).
- Step 5: After the application fee is paid, Volunteer Services will contact you to begin your training. Training includes attending a 2-3 hour in-person training and shadow shifts and completing mandatory online courses at home that can take approximately 5-6 hours.